Wednesday, August 06, 2008

M*A*S*H* - Radar O'Reilly - FUN FACTS.


Who hasn't watched the television show M*A*S*H* and fallen in love with Radar O'Reilly and his little Teddy Bear? I know I certainly did. I was surprised to find my childhood photo (my last post, below) and realize that in 1955, my bear was the same kind of bear Radar had. Whenever I watch the show, and I've been watching the reruns for years, I keep my eye open for a sight of Radar's bear. I've heard that interviewers would sometimes ask him the name of his bear, and for some reason he wanted to keep it a secret, and if they insisted on knowing, he would always give a different name each time, so no one really knew the right answer. When Radar left the show, he placed the bear on Hawkeye's bed, to remember him by. Later when the camp made a time capsule from a trunk, everyone put something in it to show what it was like to be there. Radar's bear was also put in that trunk. (Not the real one, a look-a-like bear. It seems that bear actors also have stand-ins!) I was lucky enough to find on Ebay this poster of Radar "Walter" O'Reilly, signed by Gary Burghoff himself. Included in a letter to the seller of the poster, was this note, "My Bear's Name Was Tiger. Sincerely, Gary Burghoff" So now we know the secret! Radar's Bear's Name Was Tiger!

No comments: